Kicking Horse Coffee
Kicking Horse Coffee buys its organic coffee via cooperatives, which ensures the farmers get a higher premium and thus a better standard of living. Kicking Horse coffee has some Fair Trade Certified coffee roasts. There are no pesticides, herbicides or harmful fertilizers in the shade grown coffee Kicking Horse purchases. It sponsors the Wings Over the Rockies festival, in British Columbia, Canada, promoting wildlife and migratory birds via education, conversation and sustainable economic activities. Kicking Horse has fantastic packaging.
Kicking Horse is famous for its legend. In 1858, adventurer, James Hector discovered the Kicking Horse Valley. His horse allegedly kicked him so hard his team thought he was dead. However, legend has it a that a cup of coffee brought him back to life. Hence the name, Kicking Horse Coffee.
I have chosen two of my favorite coffee roasts and then added the other options all of these blends have a FairTrade alternatives, which only cost 1 Canadian dollar more.
Kicking Horse Light Roasts:
- Organic Bugaboo: Kicking Horse Coffee describes this roast as: a medium blend of African & South American coffees. The packaging has a great picture of a mountain sheep (or ram?).
- Fair Trade Organic Ethiopian Coffee: Kicking Horse Coffee describes this roast as having floral sweet tones. It has a butterfly on the package and even though I am afraid of butterflies (spiders with wings) I tried this roast and loved it.
- Other Kicking Horse light coffee roasts include: Organic Hoodoo Joe, Organic Brazil, Organic Mocha Yoho, Organic Timor, Organic Peru, Organic Costa Rica, Organic Guatemala, and Organic Nicaragua.
Kicking Horse Medium Roasts:
- Organic Three Sisters: Kicking Horse Coffee describes it as: Central America, South America and South Pacific coffees.
- Organic Rundle Rock: Kicking Horse Coffee describes it as: earthiness of Indonesia and high tones of Africa. It has a rock climber on the package. It's a great gift for the rock climbing coffee drinker.
- Other Kicking Horse medium coffee roasts include: Fair Trade Organic Pacific Pipeline, Fair Trade Organic Sumatra, Organic Z-Wrangler, Organic Cuban (not avail to US), Organic Kootenay Crossing, Organic Sumatra and Organic Timor.
Kicking Horse Dark Roasts:
- 454 Horse Power: Kicking Horse Coffee describes it as: seriously dark roasted coffee. It is roasted to 454 F degrees and weighs 454 grams ( 1 pound). 454 Horse Power it has a picture of a horse on the packaging.
- Organic Decaf: Kicking Horse Coffee describes it as: removing 97-99 % of caffeine using the Swiss water decaffeinated process. It really does taste like the real thing and has to be my favorite decaf.
- Other Kicking Horse dark coffee roasts include: Organic Decaf Cliffhanger Espresso, Organic Grizzly Claw, Organic Kick Ass.